>

Thursday 5 March 2009

The Art of Twitter Attraction & Warren Ellis

This is story about the beautiful stuff that Social Media can do. Two days ago while I again stayed up waaay past midnight (twittering the night away) an incredible thing happened. I somehow found a writer Warren Ellis from (bloody) England, who described himself on Twitter as "English Writer. Not Australian Musician. Hasn't slept since 1985." and I thought: that is a genius! I went checked his site warrenellis.com, and after a five minutes I felt really satisfied that I again found someone really interesting to follow. YES!

Warren Ellis is the award-winning creator of graphic novels such as FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE, PLANETARY, and TRANSMETROPOLITAN, and the author of “underground classic” CROOKED LITTLE VEIN.

Naturally I clicked "follow". After this I'd usually just click myself off, but since his last tweet was actually a simple question about what people do in their lives (he has over 21.000 followers!) I was like, well, I'll answer this one ...

@WarrenEllis So what do you people (the ones I don't already know) do for a living?
@MartaLamovsek basically I make icons out of people I like.

"Basically I make icons out of people I like." (Yes, originally mine, and you can quote me forever!:) Surely that kinda tweet reply could sound dodgy but I basically wrote how I would really want to describe it. And apparently - being true to yourself hasn't lost its appeal, also on Twitter... because it turned out that only a few hours later sleepless writer Warren Ellis was posting my photographs on his blog. When I saw this today I said to myself: now THAT was a bloody good Twittering a night away ...

Basically I want to read all of his books - and then I'd made him a cover for his next one! :)

Follow Warren Ellis on Twitter
Follow me on Twitter

Screenshoot warrenellis.com

8 comments:

  1. you must read transmetropolitan, nexwave: agents of H.A.T.E. and fell. if you need help finding the books contact me at gasper_hafner@yahoo.com or you can download some of his stuff from http://thelongbox.net/phpBB3/index.php?sid=b9dab61b026a22a18edee6d74a2270eb

    you got bleesed that he linked you. he is after all one of the most known writers of the last 10 years. (he he nism vedu da delaš take fotke dokler nism slediu njegovmu linku)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious. I follow warren and will see what will happen.

    Otherwise I'M quite disappointed on twitter. Too much links, not enough content. Of course I'm no different at all.
    B5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous the Gasper, I will read it! Thanks for the info, mate, will use it ;) (yesterday I started reading first chapter of CROOKED LITTLE VEIN I found on wiki)

    And well, I'm glad that so many people find me from English and American blogs because frankly (I'll be sarcastic now) - you must search really hard to find a post about me in Slovenia!

    @B5 My experience with Twitter is fantastic, but I follow much more people - among my 515 following people there is at least 20% very good content providers - if you have only 70 of them, it is not enough and I'm sure that's why you don't get what you want - try use Twitter search with keywords that interest you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. piki, ne morem čisto dojet, kaj se točno dogaja (i need some social media instruction), ampak spet si v enih angleških cajtngih ... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manci, you don't have to know Social Media - YOU ARE IN LONDON ;) Niso cajtengi, so pa sajti, za nadaljne rodove, ki me bodo googlali.

    mwa***

    ReplyDelete
  6. ;) to vem, ja, and I love ur sentence about icons, u should protect it as a TM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent't used twitter yet, I don't really know how to get started. I tried reading QuestLoves but didn't get it. But if you want to read a Free Warren Ellis works. check out freakangles online. you can start from the beginning and its pretty great stuff. Love your pictures too by the way. I am about to add you on flickr.

    ReplyDelete